Support Forums

If you have questions about my software, chances are this forum has the answers.

You'll need to register before you can post on the forum to ask your question or to answer another one. A reply will be posted to each and every question that is asked so there is no need to double post or bump your post. I do my best to answer promptly but in some cases it may take a day or two. Bear with me and I`ll get your question answered quickly.

Here are a few tips to help you to get your questions answered more rapidly.

IMPORTANT: Posts in English only. I don't have a translator and I'll be unable to understand your message properly and will probably delete it.
SEARCH: Use the search option to see if your question has been answered on the forum before now or if there is an answer in the documentation of your software.
PRIORITY SUPPORT: If you have purchased a commercial version of any software, using the contact option at the licence centre ensures a faster response.
AUTO DELETION: Accounts older than 5 days, with no posts or topics, are automatically deleted. Only register if you are thinking of posting.
LINKS: Any links posted are not clickable and must be copied / pasted into your browser address bar.

You are not logged in.

#1 chubby 02-11-2017 14:08:51

Hi there,

Testing Maian Support and liking it so far but I just can't make it send a single email. I tried different email addresses and different email servers but no success. With a custom email addresses (those we create through WHM/Cpanel) it looks like it's all okay but we never receive any emails (test from admin, new user signup) and with Gmail it first struggles for a while (the rotating circles to the left of "Send" keep rotating for a minute or so) and then (again) nothing in inbox.

As for the Gmail this is what it says in the error log:

[Error Code: 1] Using $this when not in object context
[Date/Time: 2 November 2017 @ 14:18PM]
[Fatal error on line 248 in file /home/somefolder/public_html/maian/maian_support/helpdesk/control/classes/mailer/class.send.php]

I tried all ports for Gmail (467, 587, 25) and both SSL and TLS and I've set it (Gmail) up to be less picky as far as security goes but nothing.

Any email server (and parameters for it) that is certain to work?

Thanks,
Ivan

#2 msworld 04-11-2017 23:32:04

Hi Ivan,

The fatal error you posted will prevent any email from working. Can I just confirm that your PHP version is 5.3 or higher? Because that error shouldn`t appear if you have 5.3.

Let me know,
David.

#3 chubby 07-11-2017 09:05:50

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. It appears that I have 5.3.28 on server...

Thanks,
Ivan

#4 msworld 08-11-2017 17:03:26

I`m not sure why that error is appearing then, it should work fine for 5.3.

3.7 is coming soon and the min version is now 5.5, so maybe upgrade your installation? 5.3 is way too old now.

#5 chubby 09-11-2017 13:41:56

It's VPS on Servint, I didn't upgrade for a while so I tried to do it through WHM today but it failed, they propagated it to Cpanel. Will try again as soon as they do their part.

I tried an install on a friend's host with PHP 5.6 but got stuck on the third step (IMAP, which I don't need but anyway...) and will try again as soon as he switches it on.

Wish it was a little simpler - even thought Maian Support is by far the simplest (simple in a good way) script of this kind I know about - my guess is that many would appreciate a version without cron, piping, IMAP, SMTP (wouldn't be good to have a simple phpmail option as an alternative) and swifter installation. I am still not giving up and will definitely purchase a license (and very possible additional customization too) as soon as I make the basic things work.

Thanks,
Ivan

#6 chubby 11-11-2017 14:02:17

I got updated PHP on both servers and tested 4 different email servers and none of that worked. With Gmail it keeps saying that the network is unreachable and with other email accounts I got SSL errors, "can't connect to" error and more.

I went through PHPMailer docs and discussions and wasn't much closer to solution (basically the responses are "Fix your network" and "Contact your ISP").

I am guessing that I should mess with the servers ports and such but I'd skip that for now. I have a quick question for you, David: Is it possible to get a version of class.send.php that sends email simply through PHP with mail()?

I believe that all that is needed here is plain text email sent to users so they can verify their accounts and get notices about tickets. Everything else can be handled through browser.

#7 chubby 11-11-2017 16:55:28

UPDATE:
All out of sudden it works on one of the servers

Gmail, 587, app specific password

The same combo on another server didn't work

OK on to testing the script!

#8 msworld 12-11-2017 16:44:47

Sorry for the delay. OK, great, glad it works. Other problems, let me know. smile

Wish it was a little simpler - even thought Maian Support is by far the simplest (simple in a good way) script of this kind I know about - my guess is that many would appreciate a version without cron, piping, IMAP, SMTP (wouldn't be good to have a simple phpmail option as an alternative) and swifter installation. I am still not giving up and will definitely purchase a license (and very possible additional customization too) as soon as I make the basic things work.

Thank you, appreciate it. It has got a little more complicated over the years, but I`m trying to not make it too complicated. Some of the feedback I`ve received would make it very complicated, so adding things I think are useful.

3.7 coming soon.
https://www.maiansupport.com/updates.html

#9 chubby 13-11-2017 11:50:32

Just purchased a license. Still need to pick a domain for your script to use with tho. I guess it won't spoil in the meanwhile, eh? wink

#10 msworld 14-11-2017 02:18:27

No, use it anytime. smile

Thank you for supporting my software.

#11 lancerlabels 14-11-2017 11:55:29

I to have a similar problem with email sending from the cart.
I have set up the smtp email and when I click the send test email I just get the rotating circles. Then it just gives this message
""There was an error loading the document.""
I have looked in the logs; there are 2 logs - Entry and Search, nothing in either of those about email errors.
I love this cart, it is so much easier to use than Open Cart.
But this email thing is really bugging me, I know the settings are correct as I set up an outlook account with them and it sent and received fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Lancerlabels

#12 lancerlabels 14-11-2017 12:04:44

Further to my post, just wanted to tell you my host is 1 and 1

#13 lancerlabels 14-11-2017 16:15:56
lancerlabels wrote::

I to have a similar problem with email sending from the cart.
I have set up the smtp email and when I click the send test email I just get the rotating circles. Then it just gives this message
""There was an error loading the document.""
I have looked in the logs; there are 2 logs - Entry and Search, nothing in either of those about email errors.
But this email thing is really bugging me, I know the settings are correct as I set up an outlook account with them and it sent and received fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Lancerlabels

I have now got a dedicated smtp account with "sendinblue"
I have entered their smtp details into maian and now I get the message that the emails were successfully sent.
BUT
nothing has arrived at the primary email address or the alternative one I specified in the setup.

As far as I can see I am doing nothing wrong, and I have set up smtp in other applications with no problems, it,s just this flaky software sad

#14 msworld 16-11-2017 05:44:42

Thank you. smile

it,s just this flaky software

I assume you have enabled smtp debugging as per the docs? This will detail mail connection issues and should help you identify the issue.

#15 lancerlabels 16-11-2017 08:35:54
msworld wrote::

Thank you. :)

it,s just this flaky software

I assume you have enabled smtp debugging as per the docs? This will detail mail connection issues and should help you identify the issue.

I always had the "Enable SMTP Debugging " - Yes selected in the MailSettings Page.
When I go to Logs from the menu, there are only the Search Log and The Entry log available. Should there be a "SMTP" log available?
Sorry about the Flakey comment, I was just a bit under pressure at the time, I really do like the software. : )
Llew

Last edited by lancerlabels (16-11-2017 08:36:20)

#16 msworld 16-11-2017 08:52:36

No problem. The debug instructions don`t say to look at any menus. smile

Look in the "logs" folder. smile

Should be a mail log there with details.

#17 lancerlabels 16-11-2017 13:34:53
msworld wrote::

No problem. The debug instructions don`t say to look at any menus. smile

Look in the "logs" folder. smile

Should be a mail log there with details.

Silly me, should have realised that!!

The log gives the followin
SMTP ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection timed out (110)
SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

Llew

#18 msworld 16-11-2017 14:54:59

Btw, this thread is for Maian Support, not Maian Cart...

OK, so that`s good. It means it`s not related to Maian Cart, it`s the mail server not responding because the connection info is wrong.

Are you using it over ssl?

#19 lancerlabels 16-11-2017 19:29:11

SORRY I DID NOT REALISE I WAS ON THE WRONG FORUM.
IS THERE ONE FOR JUST THE CART.?
I do not have an SSL certificate and "1 and1" tell me to use TLS, which I do.

I do not understand the connection info is wrong as I use it in 2 other mail programs with no problem.

LLew

#20 msworld 17-11-2017 02:19:02

SORRY I DID NOT REALISE I WAS ON THE WRONG FORUM.
IS THERE ONE FOR JUST THE CART.?

Of course. See the main forum page:
https://www.maianscriptworld.co.uk/forums/

I do not have an SSL certificate and "1 and1" tell me to use TLS, which I do.

I do not understand the connection info is wrong as I use it in 2 other mail programs with no problem.

LLew

Just curious about the ssl. Maian Cart uses standard mail connection parameters, so for sure the connection info is wrong or 1and1 have restrictions disallowing the connection. Do you need to whitelist your domain? Check with 1and1, they will have mail logs and should be able to tell you why they are not allowing the connection.

#21 magiccardpops 17-11-2017 04:07:21

lancerlabels -

Do you have a shared server?  If so, my host said this is why SMTP would not work for me:

"Due to SMTP restrictions which are in place on our shared servers by default it isn't possible to send script generated mail from your web server using SMTP.".

- magiccardpops

#22 msworld 17-11-2017 16:53:02

Well, at least you have found the problem, which is good. I figured it would be a 1and1 restriction. sad

No, I don`t use shared servers, only VPS or dedicated servers. The installation for Maian Cart does recommend you get a VPS server at the very least. Shared servers are not good.

#23 lancerlabels 17-11-2017 19:33:56

i think you may be getting me mixed up with magiccardpops comments

1and 1 do not seem to be able to throw any light on this matter. It seems strange that my other programs use SMTP with 1 and 1 with no problem at all.
I will have to copnsider a VPS or even dropping MAIAN cart for some other cart that works more sympathetically with SMTP. I do not want to as I like the maian cart, but hey! there it is !!

Llew

#24 msworld 18-11-2017 02:18:54

i think you may be getting me mixed up with magiccardpops comments

1and 1 do not seem to be able to throw any light on this matter. It seems strange that my other programs use SMTP with 1 and 1 with no problem at all.
I will have to copnsider a VPS or even dropping MAIAN cart for some other cart that works more sympathetically with SMTP. I do not want to as I like the maian cart, but hey! there it is !!

Llew

Oh, sorry Llew, you are right. sad

I think dropping 1and1 for a more sympathetic host would be a better option. lol.

Board footer